Sunday, March 20, 2011

Eugenics Everywhere!

Although the ideas of ultra-nationalists are not new and are even studied in high school, making the jump and tying that into eugenics is a somewhat small step or at least that's what the author wants you to believe.  So far I'm somewhat doubtful and like last weeks post I find myself questioning the content/main premise of the book.  Is it really a small step from saying Americans in the late 1800's viewed Mexicans as lazy and dirty, and then saying this is proof that these same Americans wanted to create a master race?  Although Stern's evidence seems consistent and numerous, I still find myself having doubts.

Furthermore although these books separate the science from the history purposefully, I feel that more science would be helpful in understanding many of the issues investigated in the book.  One part I find myself confused over is when on pg. 67 El Paso's Chief inspector Tappan states the differences between working the Canadian border and the Mexican border by stating that on the Mexican border they have to "contend with an alien race: one with a different language, different customs, different moral standards and different diseases."  At first this seems like direct proof of racial foundations of his work, but more information on the science of diseases in differing climates would be helpful.  From experience I know that when traveling to many tropical areas certain vaccines are needed leading me to believe that heat and climate do play an important part, but how much I'm really unsure of.  In the end one can take away the fact that by including "different moral standards" in with his observations" that racial tensions has obviously played a large part in our immigrant policies.   Without a doubt Stern's arguments are clear and compelling, my only concern is are they as strong as she would have us believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment