Sunday, February 20, 2011

Warmer Climates

The first section of Living in the Shadow of Death discusses consumption during the 19th century. One of the prescribed treatments was taking finding a more suitable climate. One that was warm and more moist (as opposed to cold and unforgiving).

I mention this small part of the book because this is one of my mother's and grandmother's go to cure suggestions. Every winter I usually end up receiving a terrible sinus infection that refuses to leave me alone (thankfully not consumption) and every year my mother (grandmother) tells me that I need to head south. This year I was fortunate enough to be able to head south, and yes when I got there I did feel immediately better (the sun was shining and there wasn't mountains of crusted over black snow everywhere).
I find it interesting how even today these ideas remain with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment